The Dominican monastery was founded in 1230 with the support of Salzburg Archbishop Eberhard II. founded by Matilda, widow of Frederick III. of Ptuj, a member of the rich and influential noble family of the lords of Ptuj, who significantly contributed to the prosperity of Ptuj in the Middle Ages. Matilda presented the Dominicans with land on the western edge of the city. She also contributed money for construction and maintenance and some church equipment. In the fall of 1231, seven Dominican monks settled in Ptuj, led by the first prior, Oton Gramatik, who came from Brež in Carinthia. The Dominicans were then still a young preaching order; their rules were confirmed by Pope Honorius III in 1216, and they soon became established in the field of spiritual shepherding and in science; they also dealt with the judiciary.
Muzejski trg 1, 2250 Ptuj
(+386) 51 326 011
Dominican monastery on the map: